Do you want to boost or start your sales in the plant-based product market? The plant-based market has differences.
People will decide to buy your food based on unique drivers. People who eat meat are the larget market for these products. You need to understand why they will buy vegan options from you, before you develop your vegan marketing ideas. The drivers of vegan food choices include:
- animal welfare
- environmental concerns
- humanity and human welfare
- religious or spiritual beliefs and
- a desire to support local business.
Set up some vegan marketing strategies especially targeted to the plant-based market. It’s worth it!
Here are some niche vegan marketing ideas and tips to get you started:
1. Behind the scenes video and photos!
Behind the scenes photos aren’t a new marketing idea. Remember, the plant-based market is different. For the vegan market, consider pictures and footage with themes like:
- a menu competition where two different recipes for the new menu item are put to the taste test by team members and friends (with blindfolds!)
- thank you messages for great work
- images of community contributions made by the team such as wildlife care, animal shelter donations, running in a fundraiser for an animal welfare or similar charity
- answering the phone or checking the mobile ordering app
- team members trying new menu items
- visiting a local supplier to show that you support a family or local business.
Get creative! We recommend one of these every 1 – 2 months. Try not to have any products that are not plant-based within the view of the camera. You need to do this to avoid negative comments.
2. Discount codes exclusively for plant-based products.
Discount codes aren’t new. But, they can be highly viral in the plant-based market if they’re treating vegan options as ‘special’.
Why do people share discount codes for vegan options? It’s part of advocacy and outreach. Here are some reasons that plant-based food fans will share discount codes with friends and followers:
- as ‘good news’ because the market celebrates examples of special treatment and non-vegan business adding plant-based options
- to encourage friends to try vegan food for the first time
- to share the food photography show friends that vegan food isn’t boring
- to encourage friends to go vegan by showing that plant-based food isn’t as expensive as people may think.
Want an extra edge? Set up discounts for plant-based products that are exclusive to paid members or registered volunteers of local wildlife rescue organisations, vegetarian and vegan societies, or other similar organisations. These organisations are likely to have high concentrations of your core plant-based food fan target market.
Get creative! We recommend linking these to a special day and for a limited time, with about 3 – 4 promotions a year.
3. Spread the word with striking branded packaging!
If your customers are receiving their tasty vegan food or other products in normal packaging, you are missing a trick.
Your vegan marketing ideas shouldn’t end where the product has left the building. In fact, that’s just the start!
Penelope – jacoi.com
A simple message that’s easy to read and something people can associate with your business, creates winning food packaging.
Create something that will catch the eye. Include ‘warm fuzzies’ – some sort of thank you and positive feedback. Try to design it so that it’s easy for people to include it in their food photos or video on social media.
A bonus is that people could see it when it’s being transported too.
It doesn’t need to be a whole package re-brand. You could just add a cheap sticker when the order includes a vegan option! Here is a simple generic example sticker:
Branded packaging with a positive message is paramount when it comes to generating more of a buzz around your business using your plant-based options.
Include a hashtag to link your sticker it to a related promotion or product, for extra punch.
Want more vegan marketing ideas? Here’s what to do next:
- Take our specialty training program!
- Follow us on any of the socials to receive regular tips.
- Contact us for help! We can do it for you.