Start a vegan blog today, it’s easy!
If you create a plant-based blog, you’ll have a home for your content. You’ll also be able to build your identity as a vegan influencer or business that caters to people who have a plant-based diet.
The online vegan market is huge, but they have to find you!
If you want to do some vegan activism, starting a vegan blog can help you as an activist too!
Social media services can go in and out of fashion, so you need a website to make sure your content isn’t locked into one platform.
The best vegan websites are designed to be flexible and can connect with many types of social media.
Also, if you already have one or more vegan websites but aren’t publishing blog posts then you’re missing a big opportunity for search engine optimisation (SEO).
However, there are a few key things you need to consider before making a start. In this article, we’ll run through the steps you can’t miss and what you need to cover before you click publish.
We’ll show you how to start a blog in the vegan niche.
If you find this article helpful, please share it using the buttons below. Thanks heaps!
Which type of blogger are you?
Three types of people want to create a blog in this niche. Which of these bloggers are you?
- Vegan Entrepreneur: Blogging is work. Although there are many vegan jobs out there, you want to make money or create a business through work that gives you a great lifestyle and also fits with your vegan values.
- Vegan Activist: Blogging is a form of vean activism. If you’re an activist, you’re probably wanting to create a blog to motivate and educate people about the benefits for the animals, health, the environment, climate change and/or religious/spiritual aspects.
- Non-vegan business blogger: You want to create a blog to make money, but you’re not vegan. This includes people who manage blogs, apps, or business operations. You’re looking to create or promote a vegan brand to tap into the growing vegan market that’s already worth billions.
It might surprise you, but it doesn’t matter with type of blogger you are. You still need to follow a similar process to start a vegan blog.
Why? Because even if you’re blogging for activism, you need to make sure that people can find your site so you can have an impact. Also, you need to consider your capacity to grow and generate income from your site so you can sustain your activism financially.
Next, we’ll expore blogging and why you should start a blog.
What is a blog and how can you benefit from it?
Put simply, a blog is a collection of articles and other content called posts. You will usually see a blog posts page containing a scroll down list of the most recent posts. It’s also common for posts to be given a specific tag or category that is a match for certain search terms.
Most importantly, your blog can be based around any topic in the vegan and plant-based niche. You could create content on your favourite raw vegan smoothie recipes or posts on what shopping you’ve done this month, it doesn’t matter. The key thing to remember is that you should choose a niche and regularly publish posts to your blog. In terms of content, the main power of blogs is that they are up to date and consistently attracting attention from search engines.
Why should you give yourself a content platform site and start blogging? Here are the three key benefits:
- Build a lasting reputation: You will build an authentic authority in your topic if you grow a site that has quality content. By tailoring your blog posts to answer helpful questions, you can become known as an expert in your topic. This will create and grow your value as an affiliate marketer if you want to pursue affiliate marketing.
- Creating a knowledge bank: Starting a vegan blog means you’ll be creating information for a public space, and that’s a great way to share expertise and advocate. The great thing is that you can build on this knowledge each year. You can renew your Veganuary post each year, to add to it and keep the conversation going! Comment sections can be an important source of conversations and allow for real engagement around your posts.
- Earn a passive income: Making money from home or boosting business income, if you have one, is a big reason to get blogging! Popular blogging influencers can make a surprising amount of money as affiliates and by selling products or services on their site! If you’re writing about a topic you love, you’ll feel like it’s an easy income. However, top-quality content takes a lot of work. Still, the idea of boosting income through just a few hours a week creating content is a key reason why someone will start a vegan blog.
If you would like to start a blog, with the potential to earn money from it, all you need is an interest or specialist subject to attract an audience to your site. A topic you’re naturally interested in will help you find the motivation to post regular, engaging content.
Why are blogs still important in 2020?
Blogging is essentially a way to ensure you and your message can be found through search engines.
In 2020, blogging still provides fresh news and other content that you can connect with affiliate income and use as content to support your social media. It’s a key method to ensure your audience will identify with your passion and stay engaged with you.
You could have a review site, authority site, news site, or personal brand journey. They’re all powerful for search and engagement.
Blog sites are also going to continue to be vital to host or link to your landing pages that sell your products or services. You can also incorporate affiliate links to businesses you recommend. With an audience who can see that they can trust your opinions, you’ll be able to ethically secure an income when they click through the links to buy, based on your product recommendations.
The downside to starting your plant-based blog
There are a couple of things that you need to pay attention to if you want to avoid common problems. If you’re not careful, blogging can become a bigger commitment than you planned and really feel like work – even if you’re writing about something you love.
Here are two key things you need to consider before setting up your blog:
- Technical issues: It’s easy to set up a blog, but you can make life hard for yourself if you lock yourself into a website theme or host that is expensive and hard to manage! We recommend keeping it simple. Just go with a simple design and focus on learning the important basics like Plugins, SEO considerations and setting up products and affiliate links. Work with a content management system like WordPress and a simple hosting site like SiteGround. It will help you avoid the stress of technical issues.
- Privacy and feedback: It can be rewarding to producing content for a public audience. But, when you get an audience you’ll also experience different opinions and demands. Think about this upfront. You’ll need to decide if you want your face out there as a ‘personal brand’. Do you want the ability to sell your site or business in the future? As an alternative, you could blog under your business name or a pseudonym/nickname for your branding. For example, we’re private people here at jacoi. So, we don’t generally make posts about what we’re working on etc. Anyway, our focus is on you not us! Make this decision about your privacy as early as you can. It matters!
Although you do need to keep these things in mind when you start your blog, don’t let it stop you! The potential rewards of a successful blog can far outweigh these considerations. Now you can jump into setting up a blog, fully prepared and more informed.
How to start a vegan blog.
Now you’ve considered both the pros and cons of starting a blog, here is our step by step guide to show you how to start a blog.
Setting up your blog can be broken down into three key steps.
Firstly, I’ll walk you through choosing your name. Secondly, I’ll walk you through setting up a website on SiteGround and how to install WordPress. Finally, I’ll talk about how to customize your blog.
Choose your brand.
This is pretty simple.
You’ll want to start with your topic focus. Write down a couple of ideas. If you’re stuck for ideas, we’ve listed 27 vegan blog topic ideas for you below this article.
If you want readers, you’ll need to be found! So, consider incorportating words that people search for. You can find out how many times people search for your keywords on average each month using a variety of free online tools. Two free ones are Google Keword Planner and Google Trends.
Choose wisely. Your brand and your website address can be a great help, or it could hurt your success. Your blog name should tell the readers what you write about. Try to pick something simple and easy to remember. The shorter, the better.
Vegan names for business or general blogs need to be good as vegan domain names. Plus, make sure it suits your niche in the vegan market segment.
Next, you’ll want to check that the ‘online real estate’ is available. Search social media to see if the handles are available or already taken. You’ll also need to make sure the website address (URL / domain name) is available.
Your hosting service will have a free domain checker tool you can use to check if your domain name is available… read on!
Domain Name & Hosting
If you don’t already have a website, you’ll need a domain name and a hosting account.
You’ll hear about free hosting services or “self hosted” blogs. Be careful! These usually have limited functionality and lots of fees for ‘optional’ extras that really are essential. For example, they might charge you to allow you to have your email address ( e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org ) not allow you to sell products. They may not allow you to use your own domain at all. Once you realise your mistake, moving your whole site and email systems over later can be hell!
We use SiteGround as our hosting provider. Their web hosting is fast, easy to use and affordable. Also, email is available and their technical support is great!
You’re reading a wordpress blog hosted on their blogging platform right now! A hosted wordpress blog is a great choice because there are lots of free themes. Plus the most incredible professional wordpress themes are available through Envato Market at low cost. They can be installed with one click, so your new blog will look like you’ve used a professional designer within minutes! Using wordpress is easy. If you can use a smart phone then you can learn the basics of the wordpress dashboard within a day.
Elementor is the best WordPress plug-in that you can use to design blog posts and modify your pages.
Here’s how to create your new blog with SiteGround:
Step 1: Choose your plan.
First, you’ll need to go to your hosting service and choose a plan.
When you go to SiteGround, you’ll see a couple of options.
To start a blog, we recommend you choose hosting that includes WordPress. It’s a site builder that’s easy to use. You’ll be able to add WooCommerce to it too.
Step 2: Choose your domain name.
Secondly, you’ll have the opportunity to add a domain name. By default, you’ll see ‘.com’. But you can also click the drop-down menu to see other options. Don’t be tempted to choose something weird as a novelty without reading into it to be sure about what it’s supposed to be used for! Your safest option is usually a simple ‘.com’ address.
Next, click proceed to find out if the domain you want is available.
If the domain name you’ve asked for is already taken, you should see a list of alternative suggestions.
If your name is available but you’d like to check another one, just click to go back and try another one.
Soon enough, you’ll find a domain name that you want and see it’s also available! Congratulations! You’re ready to lock it in!
Step 3: Complete your registration!
Now that you’ve decided on the address of your own little slice if internet real estate, it’s time to take ownership!
Check your order details then enter your name and address, set a password, and choose your payment method.
When you click ‘pay now’, take ownership of your domain!
Here’s what the form looks like:
That’s it for your first step! We’ll soon publish a free resource that will show you how to install your theme, to give your blog design features.
Follow us on our socials so you receive the latest tips!
27 Topic Ideas To Help You Start a Vegan Blog
The vegan market and movement is huge, including plant-based recipes and many other aspects of living with vegan values.
Recently, vegan companies have taken the investing world by storm. Demand for cruelty-free cosmetics and fashion is booming too. You really have a lot of options for your blog branding, not just wonderful vegan recipes.
Here are 27 topic ideas to help you create a blog that suits your interests, target audience, and objectives.
Resources for Vegan Bloggers
First things first. The following tools and services are excellent for bloggers who are just starting out. We’ll continue to update this list regularly, so be sure to check back as you build your blog.
SiteGround's web hosting services are crafted for unmatched security, top speed, 24/7 fast and expert support. Over 2000000 domains trust them! Get your domain and start your vegan blog with them today!
If it's all too hard, it's really easy and cheap to use fiverr! There are even vegan freelancers on the platform. You'll find all the help you need to start a vegan blog, so you can focus on doing the things you're best at.
Do you want to start or grow your YouTube channel? vidIQ gives you tools and knowledge you need to grow your audience faster on YouTube and beyond. The way vidIQ shows you behind the scenes of YouTube is seriously mind-blowing! It shows you exactly what to do to show up in search results.
Elementor is the best FREE WordPress Website Builder, with over 5 million active installs. The Elementor Website builder allows WordPress users to create and edit incredible websites by employing the drag and drop technique, with a built-in responsive mode.
Get the 30-day Free Trial. Then, head to the Amazon Prime Reading site to get books, magazines, and audio for free. We recommend you get the best sellers for (1) Food Photography, (2) Blogging and (3) Content Planning. You'll also get access to award-winning movies & TV shows.
Canva is sooo easy to use. They have 250000+ editable design templates covering everything you need to design for social media, print, merch and websites! You’ll find hundreds of thousands of free photos and graphics too. Create as an individual, or with a team! Share designs anywhere and get it professionally printed anytime. Canva is a huge time saver for vegan bloggers!
We're here to help you too! Follow our socials for free tips and inspiration. We provide content writing services as well as a catalogue of free guides. You can follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram to get regular advice and inspiration.
P.S. Don’t forget that you need to connect your blog to social media! Plan and schedule your content and engagement on multiple platforms using a professional program. Sprout Social is one of the best.