HappyCow’s Compassionate Healthy Eating Guide, known as “HappyCow“, has been the definitive global vegetarian dining guide and health food store directory since 1999. It provides peer reviews as well as a lively online community, veg recipes, travel and health info, free newsletter, and much more. HappyCow includes app and desktop interfaces.
It’s simply the most popular and powerful niche plant-based platform in the world. It includes venues that are not 100% plant-based under certain situations, but the focus is solely on plant-based options.
With corona virus (COVID-19) it’s now vital that you use apps like this to attract new take-away and delivery sales!
HappyCow attracts a huge following of plant-based food buyers with free services and a great invitation like this:
HappyCow.net is your one-stop resource for everything VEG. Find vegetarian restaurants and health food stores worldwide; read travel and health articles; download mobile app; exchange recipes and stories. Join HappyCow’s growing community of caring people who are dedicated to promoting a healthy, compassionate, and sustainable lifestyle.
We think it’s important to point out now that we do not have an affiliate relationship with HappyCow. We’re marketing professionals. We’ve written this resources because HappyCow is simply one of the best marketing platforms in this space and we get a lot of questions about it!
If you want plant-based food lovers in your city to find you (both visitors and locals), you need to be listed. It is free to be listed, but getting listed is not easy! To understand HappyCow, you need to be aware of their purpose, history and unique marketing power. This will help you make a good listing submission.
HappyCow‘s purpose is to make healthy food easy to find and more accessible. It was established as a public service to assist travelers and people everywhere find plant-based / vegan options and healthy food.
HappyCow,was founded in 1999. It was established by Eric Brent, a world traveler who has lived, worked, and visited more than 50 countries. He had experienced difficulty looking for “safe” plant-based food options each time he arrived at a new town or city.
HappyCow,grew to become staffed by a large team of vegans and vegetarians. Their online community has grown to include members from around the world who are passionate about the vegan lifestyle as a healthy, compassionate, and environmentally sustainable way of living. More than simply a restaurant and health food store guide, HappyCow is an ever-evolving online hub that serves millions worldwide each month.
As users continue to be disspointed by generic search results from sites like Tripadvisor and Google, this platform is continuing to build an almost cult-like following and is a trusted reference for plant-based food market consumers because of its niche curated content.
You can use HappyCow to inform your plant-based menu items and marketing in two ways.
- List your venue: If you are not officially manually ‘listed’, you don’t exist on HappyCow. The platform does not pull in generic listings from google maps or other sources. Each listing is submitted and approved. This means that there is less competition and it makes this such a trusted and popular reference in the plant-based market.
- Market research: Examine the successful venues that offer plant-based menu items in your local market. You will be able to see detailed information about their offering. Most importantly, you can read the reviews to gain unique information about what plant-based consumers love to buy in your area.
How to list your venue on HappyCow
There are two ways that you can get your venue in front of new customers on HappyCow.
Option 1: Ask someone else to submit your venue listing to HappyCow.
Do you already have customers or friends who are plant-based, such as vegan or vegetarian? Ask them if they are a HappyCow user. If they are, you can ask them to submit your venue for listing. The advantage of this option is that it’s ‘hands-off’ for you. The disadvantage include:
- you will not be able to control the content of your listing submission, and so you run the risk of being rejected;
- you will not know the requirements and so you could accidently do something that gets you de-listed and removed later; and
- it will be more difficult for you to figure out how to update your entry later if you haven’t ‘claimed’ the listing as an owner.
You can also engage Jacoi to prepare your listing submission. Contact us at Jacoi.
Option 2: Submit your HappyCow listing yourself.
- Register to become a HappyCow user: You can do this through the HappyCow website. Alternatively, you can download their app through Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- Review and action the listing requirements: Using the app or the website, click the “Add Listing” button. This will take you to a screen that will ask you questions and then show you the requirements for listing eligibility. These are very important. Don’t get blocked and rejected! Make sure your venue’s website etc will meet these requirements before you take the next step. (You can also buy a copy of these requirements and advice from us here at Jacoi.)
- Add your venue listing: Once you have completed steps 1 and 2, you can proceed to enter your venue details into the final screen using the “Add Listing” form on the following page.
- Stickers and Social Media: If you can, try to get a sticker that you can put at the entry to your venue. With over 20 years in the market, this brand is very well known. The sticker will help you attract new walk-in customers who are interested in discovering your plant-based menu options. Also, you can send a ‘thank you’ to the HappyCow team on their socials in order to get the attention of their followers in your area! They’re on YouTube, Instagram , Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Want help or advice for your listing? Contact us at Jacoi. We can assist you!
P.S. Want to learn more about HappyCow? Watch this video: